News Flash

Clark County Featured Items

Posted on: September 2, 2020

Clerk of Common Pleas Court seeks to help citizens with excess funds

Clark County Common Pleas Courthouse

Clark County Clerk of Courts Melissa Tuttle is offering citizens with excess funds from old cases the opportunity to collect the money in a more efficient and effective manner.

“When foreclosure cases have excess money from the sale, it typically sits until an order on the case directs us to pay out accordingly,” Tuttle said. “Most of the time the defendant moves, does not receive the mail, understand the significance, or is embarrassed and tosses the mail. That was their notice that they had money that was above what they owed and costs. Those Defendants have a lawful right to the funds and just need to motion the Court to release the funds.”

Citizens can now file an Excess Funds Motion that will allow them to be paid faster and without an attorney or third party collecting a portion of the fee.

“Our goal in the Clerk’s Office is to always serve the public and give the public the ability to claim what is lawfully their right to have,” Tuttle said.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Clerk’s Office was able to review old cases. It found monies that needed action on the case to be released.

“I feel it is my duty to help the public get as much money returned to them as I can do under the law to better serve the justice system and the public,” Tuttle said.

Citizens can check to see if they might have excess funds as part of a Clark County Court case using the Clerk’s Office online docket. The link to the website and form can be found at

For more information, call 937-521-1680.


Contact | Michael Cooper, Public Information Officer, 937-521-2031

Contact | Melissa Tuttle, Clerk of Courts, 937-284-0121

Facebook Twitter Email